Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Heaven help us...

So we are laying in bed last night talking about how we will raise our child. The conversation began because Shannon is reading some kind of pregnancy magazine. She keeps firing questions at me depending on what article she is reading. "What are my views on breastfeeding?" "Do I think the baby needs to spend the first few months sleeping in our room?"

I'm not sure if I ever really answered any of her first several questions. I just kept thinking to myself "Wow! Yet another set of things I haven't even considered". "I have never felt so unprepared for anything". One time in high school, I was running for class vice-president. I had to give a speech in front of the entire student body. I had gotten the dates wrong and showed up for the assembly without having written a speech. In fact, I had not really thought about what I was going to say when I did write it. (shocker...I lost the election)

I was less anxious about that.

Anyway, Shannon is flipping through this magazine and sees an ad for baby earrings. "How do you feel about piercing the babies ears?" she says. Before I can answer she states, "I think it is more special if we wait until she is old enough to ask for pierced ears." "Then we know she really, really wants it" says my wife. "Like a tattoo or belly ring" I say.

Heaven help me if I have a daughter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, I am so embarrassed. You guys are out 'teching' me with the blog. Great idea and funny as all get out. Since everyone gives advise, here's mine. When referring to each other in front of the baby always call each other Mommy and Daddy. Sounds silly, but Allison called my wife "Jill" for the first 3 years and "Momma Jill" for the 2 after that. Congrats.

ms said...

I remember asking one of my friends about all the parenting magazines. Both her husband and her work full time, and over the weekend she was reading one magazines that gave instructions on how to make chalk and then use it on the driveway. She basically admitted she didn't have that kind of time and bought the chalk at Target and cancelled her subscription to the magazine! Happy Parenting!
Margaret

Anonymous said...

To Dan and Shannon
You have to think back many years in Highland, Dan to when you went over
to Dr. Feikema when you scraped your knee or flew over the handlebars of
your bike and got a bandaid and popsickle to make you feel better.

Just relax and enjoy your new little one and God bless.

Shannon if she or he is like his father you will be very busy. Just
kidding!

Our love to you all, Roger and Evelyn Feikema

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can phrase that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is quiet a question as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with delivery of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=password craking 2008 ?
I noticed the phrase you have not used. Or you functioning the black methods of development of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg