Friday, January 4, 2008

Wow! Five Weeks Old!



I can’t believe that Max is five weeks old already. Like they say, “Time flies when you’re having fun.” We sure have been having fun with him. It seems our baby has been smiling since he came home from the hospital. (I suspect some of that has been indigestion.) Like all southern babies he will “pitch a fit” now and again but, for the most part, he is a happy little fella. Hungry, too!

While Shannon was pregnant we had several discussions about breastfeeding versus formula feeding. There are pros and cons to both. I can’t say that we feel super strong either way. Ultimately the health benefits and cost made our decision easy. If Shannon was capable of nursing, we should at least give it a try. Besides, I was afraid that if we didn’t the La Leche League (or Boob Nazi’s as I call them) would protest in front of our house.

Cheaper has certainly turned out to be beneficial. Max eats like a champ. His table manners leave a lot to be desired, though. He squeaks and moans and grunts while he is breastfeeding. It borders on obscene. Shannon says “I can’t possible feed this kid in public”. We’ll have to work on that.

We have known all along that Max would go to daycare and Shannon would return to work. Shannon has been pumping and storing breast milk for when that happens. Watching my wife nurse my son is beautiful and natural. Opening the fridge to get a Pepsi and seeing bags and bottles of my wife’s milk is not. Don’t get me wrong, I am not repulsed or anything, just a little freaked out. I know that it is necessary. I also knew that we would have to make the boob to bottle transition soon.

I gave him his first bottle last Saturday. We were more than a little concerned. Everything we have read suggested that it would be difficult and it is important that he take a bottle. We asked the pediatrician about it. Dr. Wiley said that breastfed babies can be pretty particular. “Just try an ounce or so and see if he accepts it,” said the doctor.

So, we sterilize the bottles and nipples. Then we debated on which type, size, nipple and amount of milk we should try. “I read that it helps if the mother isn’t in the room when you try to introduce a bottle,” said Shannon. “No problem,” I said. “Just don’t get too far away in case we need a boob transfusion”.

It is a good thing Shannon was just in the other room. Max took that first ounce of milk like it was a shot of tequila. I was left sitting there with an empty bottle and a hungry, crying baby. “Shannon, you better bring me some more milk in a hurry!” I shouted. She came in with another bottle full of milk. Like the gas man in the NASCAR pit crew, I popped the empty one out and popped in the full one. Success.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is the most precious thing! I'm so glad the transition to the bottle was an easy one. I wish I were there to feed him. He will probably be eating some cereal by the time I get back to TN for a visit. I'll make sure it's a nice, cute, messy ordeal. I guess I will then be responsible for washing those clothes and maybe even a bath.

Keep posting those pics. I love to see him at all stages. He has the cutest smile ever. I know he will be laughing out loud soon.