Saturday, February 28, 2009

Getting Home





My baby boy is growing up fast. It seems like just yesterday he was taking his first steps. Now he is toddling around the house like a pro. The best thing about him being mobile is when I get home form work at night.

Our driveway curves around in front of our house. There is a big window in the library that looks out onto the driveway. Max spends a lot of his time in the library “reading” books and playing with toys. Most evenings when I pull into the driveway, I can see him through that big window. He is usually busy pulling books off the shelf and “stacking” them on the floor. As I slow down to pull in to the garage, I can see the big smile on his face when he notices my car. I watch as he points a chubby little finger in my direction and I can see him mouth the words “Da Da”.



By the time I park the car and make my way through the garage door into the back hallway, I can hear him squeal and see him waddle around the corner as fast as his little legs will carry him. He looks like a little version of Frankenstein as he ambles down the wood floor, arms outstretched in front of him.

“Hello Baby Boy!” I say, as I scoop him up in my arms. He giggles while he squirms to get down. When I let him down, he takes off in the direction of the living room rug. He is making a mad effort to get away and wants me to chase him. (chuckling the whole time) The ultimate goal is to get to the soft, comfort of the area rug so we can “wrestle”.

When I get to the living room, I flop down on the floor so he can jump on me. As he crashes down on my back I shout “oh, you got me”. He just laughs.

I have forgotten about the stresses of the day. The only thing that matters at that moment is me and my boy. What could be better?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan, Shannon and Little Buddy,

Thanks you the picture up date. Even though I am half way around the world from you, it is like I am right there with the "Little Buddy". Every time I look at him I see the both you you in him and that is a good thing. Please send more pictures for me so I don't get home sick missing him.

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

So he's going to be an "organizer" eh? Already rearranging everything for you. lol

~Amanda

Anonymous said...

It's only been 2 mo since I saw Max, but it seems much longer. I esp love the photo of Max in my hat. Sort of playing around with a visit end of April. Any plans with you guys around that time?

Aunt Donna

Anonymous said...

What a awesome Blog, it is great to hear about the family even though I do hear some from Suz. You have a beautiful wife and family Dan. Lori