Monday, April 20, 2009

Lawnmower! Bus!

My young son has developed an obsession. Sure, like most little boys he is fascinated with cars, motorcycles, trucks and heavy equipment of all kinds, but to our amusement it is lawnmowers and buses that have really caught his fancy.

I can almost understand the bus thing. Max and I drive by multiple bus stops (and a couple of schools) on our way to daycare in the morning. The school buses we pass are large, yellow and have flashing lights on them. What’s not to like?

It would be comical to listen to a tape of our morning drive conversations. Anything I say (or sing) is constantly interrupted by my tiny son pointing out the big, brightly colored vehicles as we travel down the street. A typical exchange might be me starting to sing “the itsy bitsy spider went” about that time my son will yell “ A BUS!”. I then reply “that’s right son…a bus” followed by singing “up the water spout”. “A BUS!” Max will yell again. “Very good” I reply, only to resume my award winning rendition of the song. “A BUS!” Max will yell again. By this time I am thinking, “Wow! That one has to be a half mile away” This continues for another ten minutes until we get to the daycare center. Of course, what does the daycare center have in their parking lot when we get there? You guessed it, a bus.


The lawnmower fixation I am still a little puzzled about. I hate yard work and don’t even own a lawnmower, but the mere sound of one sends my son scrambling to the nearest window. He will point his chubby little finger and proudly exclaim “LAWNMOWER!” He gets even more excited if he can actually see the machine. He will stand mesmerized until whoever is using the contraption is done.

The obsession doesn’t end with actual lawnmowers. He has carried around an old Lowes Home Improvement Advertisement until it is tattered and worn. He would be happy to sit on your lap for hours looking at pictures of outdoor equipment. When you get to the page with John Deere tractor he turns toward me and says “John Deere”. He is so happy.

Right now it is very fun and cute to see him all excited. I am sure this will change by the time he is thirteen and I buy him a bright green Lawn Boy mower to push around the yard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at Max's verbal abilities. Most 16 mo. olds cannot articulate nearly as well. Must be all the reading you guys do with him. Of course he's bright-look at his family lineage.LOL Love Aunt Donna

Anonymous said...

You can always start him early and let him come out here. Dad has a John Deer and I am sure he would be happy to teach Max how to use it! lol It just goes to show that kids are full of surprises and that you never know what will be exciting for them. It has got to be fun watching his personality develop.

~Amanda

Anonymous said...

Don't worry I'm sure the excitment will end long before 13, the boys learned last year it's not much fun to mow the yard, and that ws only a couple passes each!
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Max does come from a long line of gardeners. I remember planting flowers in between the veggies sitting on the back of my grandpas tractor. You can't replace those memories. Love Aunt Donna