Friday, August 31, 2007

Caring for Baby

The other night Shannon and I were putting some finishing touches on the nursery and admiring the nice little room we have put together. We stood there for a minute looking at our handy work. “It looks really good,” Shannon said. I nodded in agreement. We were both facing the crib. It is completely empty except for the tiny plastic covered mattress and the little Pottery Barn patchwork quilt. Almost as if on cue, we looked at each other and the weight of the situation became evident.

Shannon was still smiling but her tone became more serious and her eyes teared up. “What are we going to do, Dan?” she said. I pretended I didn’t know what she was referring to, but I knew where this conversation was heading. “I don’t know ANYTHING about taking care of babies” she said. Always being the rock for Shannon to lean on I responded in the most logical way. “Well, don’t look at me” I shot back. “Uh oh, did I just say that out loud?” I thought to myself. Sure enough. I could tell by the look on her face.

“Don’t worry honey” I whispered as I slowly moved closer to her. “We are mature, intelligent, adults in a committed, loving relationship and we can do this…together” In an effort to bolster my argument, I named off some couples we know with children. “If they can do it…we sure as hell can do it” (DISCLAIMER: I am in no way referring to anyone who might be reading this blog. I am clearly referring to those other people. Come on, we all know who they are.)

With my arm around her I said the three words all pregnant women want to hear from their husbands. “Are you hungry?” I thought that distracting her with food would get me off the hook. It would only work for a few days.

Last night during the Cubs game (They are in 1st place by the way!) she presented me with a list of parenting classes offered by our local hospital. We discussed classes about Lamaze, Labor and Delivery for couples not practicing Lamaze, Infant First Aid and CPR, Boot Camp for New Dads, etc. Now when I say discussed, I mean she talked and I listened intently. (blah, blah, Lamaze, blah, blah, childbirth) When Matt Murton and Alfonso Soriano hit back to back home runs to put the Cubs in the lead, I think I agreed to attend any class the hospital offers.

In all seriousness, I eagerly await the arrival of my son. I want to be as involved as I can. I am not intimidated by diaper changing, bathing or feeding. If I get in a pinch…I will just call my Mom.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shannon and Dan

I can't even tell you how faithfully Uncle Eddie and I been following your blog. We have been laughing and laughing and laughing. We can't wait until the blessed event. I'm sure at this point Shannon also can't wait.
That baby boy is going to be one one LUCKY baby.

Love

US

Starfish said...

Yeah, Nat and I went through a lot of these feelings too. When he gets here, you'll kinda just know what to do. It's weird, but people have a parent sense that kicks in.

By the way, other than Bradley Childbirth class (which we highly recommend) we took infant CPR. If you take any classes, make sure you at least take the CPR class.

Anonymous said...

You two are more ready than you know. You're both natural caregivers! Look at the TLC you've lavished on Owen and Foxy.

You may not know what you don't know...but you also don't know what you instinctively know.

Relax! Everyone around you has complete confidence in your as yet untapped parenting skills.

It's a good sign, and also very touching, that you are concerned.

Please be reminded...folks birthed and raised children lovingly and successfully for centuries before any books or classes were offered on the subject. All the better that we have these resources, but don't let them take the place of common sense and experienced family and friends.

The transition will be seamless!

Anonymous said...

Ha, just relax. The EASY part is while they're little and view you as an all-knowing God. The hard part is not killing them after they learn to talk and discover (to them at least) that you were raised in the Dark Ages and know NOTHING about their problems at all. So see, the first few years will be easy, then just do what we did, lock them in a closet and put food under the door (no, really, we didn't do that, don't call child services (again)).

The relatives with kids

Anonymous said...

This one brought tears to my eyes because I remember having the same feeling. It is terrifying! But, I promise, you will know exactly what to do. Your baby will know you are his parents; he has been hearing you all this time; he has been frowning at Dan in confusion-just kidding! The whole process is just a miracle and you guys will be GREAT!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Hi Kids,

I'll be waiting near the phone, but I'm betting it won't be ringing.

Thanks for your vote of confidence!

Love,
Mom