Sunday, August 19, 2007

Little League World Series

This is the week when 12 year olds from all over the planet invade Williamsport, PA to play in the Little League World Series. Shannon thinks I am crazy, but I watch as many games as I can on ESPN. I love the stuff. As a baseball fan, it is refreshing to see these little athletes play for nothing more than pure love of the game. No million dollar contracts at stake there.

One of my favorite parts of LLWS is the things we learn about the boys when they are up to bat. Unlike Major League Baseball stats, we learn things like the second baseman's favorite food, the catchers favorite school subject or the left fielder's nickname.

This year I have been especially interested. As I learn about the young men I can't help but think about my own son. What will his favorite movie be? (Happy Gilmore, Dodge Ball or Blazing Saddles) What about his favorite food? (BBQ Ribs) Will he like baseball?(Go Cubbies!) Will he have a nickname? How tall will he be when he is 12? Will he look more like Shannon or me?

I can't wait to find out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon & Dan-
I love the blog - you are a great writer. You must print these and save for Max's baby book.
I am Shannons work mate, my husband Scot and I have been bugging her for years to have a baby. She told us of your New Years Eve wish and we pressed her to go home and get started right away. I am glad it is a boy, we have 3 boys and love it.

We watch and love the LLWS as well, I prefer it to the big league games. They were extra great this year, in my opinion. It is fun to dream about your son's sports future. We have had a nice run. They played all the sports, we ended up Justin 19 playing football at the University of Montana, Blake 17 plays baseball, Shane 15 used to play basketball, but now is onto golf. He has a great swing and loves it. Dad is happy because he loves all those sports and enjoys being able to play golf with them. Blake loves golf as well.

Have to agree, soccer is our least favorite, we let them play when they were little, we don't get it either.

Good luck with the belly photos, maybe that can go on Shannons news letter to the schools - not!

We are so happy for you-love the name Max, our good friends have a Maximo - he is an awesome kid.

Be well, keep those feet up-I got to the point it was walking on wet sponges, not too good for you though. 1st came 3 weeks early because I would not take it easy. He was fine, but a little small. He is a moose now.

Love ya, Shelly Townsend