Friday, June 20, 2008

Father's Day

Any time I get to spend the whole day with my son is special. Somehow, because it was my first “Father’s Day”, last Sunday seemed different. It felt more important. That morning, while I was sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee watching my son eat his cereal, I started thinking about what it means to be a father.




I am a little disturbed about how husbands and fathers are portrayed lately. Every year we, as a society, are subjected to silly TV commercials that depict the American Dad as a bumbling, mouth breathing, doofus. Father's Day is the day when he gets a new grill or power tool because he managed to screw up his previous one. I am not that guy. Most of my friends are not that guy.

So what do I think it mean to be a father?

It means that I have to work hard. Not only to provide for my family, but to set a good example for my son.

It means that things like motorcycles no longer seem important.

It means that I need to know how to change a diaper, prepare baby food and warm a bottle.

It means that when I play with my son, just like in rugby, I need to be prepared for a poke in the eye, a headbut or an occasional kick to the groin, all without getting mad.

It means I want to live a safer and healthier lifestyle because I don’t want to miss a minute of my son growing up.

It means that I would walk through fire and give my life for my child.

It means that no matter what kind of day I had, when I walk in the door and see my son’s face light up, everything is good.

I could go on for days, but you get the point. It was a good first Father’s Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said. I've found the truest test of a good dad is time. In 18 years will they still talk to you? Will you want them to? If both answers are yes it's a sign things are going either in the right direction (Dad, Yale or MIT sound interesting. Son, you'll do well at both) or the totally wrong one (Dad, let's do a bank job. Son, sounds cool, you get the guns I'll bring the beer and bombs). I'll betting on you guys getting the right answer. :
form Uncle Brian

Anonymous said...

Dan, I believe you got it! Not that I doubted you already had it.

Now I am totally sure.

Happy fathers day.

Clell