Monday, June 30, 2008

He gets that from his mother.

We all have that internal clock that tells our body when to wake up. Mine has always had a built in snooze button. Shannon, on the other hand, will wake up at the crack of dawn even when we are on vacation. Without setting the alarm clock, she springs from the bed, wide awake, ready to take on whatever the day has in store. I prefer to ease into the day. I hit the snooze button and then do the math to figure out how much time I will have to get ready. This is not any easy feat considering “snooze” is 9 minutes. (Why did the alarm clock people settle on an odd number anyway? Why not 10?)Early in our marriage this was a source of contention. “How can you sleep away your off day?” Shannon would say. “I can’t! As long as you keep waking me up,” I would reply. She would then proceed to run the vacumn, dishwasher and any other noisy appliance.

Over the last 14 years I have “transmogrified” into a sudo-early riser. Gone are the days when I could sleep until 11 on a Saturday morning. Now, without any alarm or prodding from my wife, I will be up bright and early.

I say all that to say this. “My son is a morning person!” His internal clock is set to wake at 5:45 am. On the dot. (My alarm is set for 5:50 am.) Every morning, just before my clock radio sounds, I hear my young son jabbering on the baby monitor. He is happy and playful. Glad to be awake and ready to start his morning routine. Normally I would be less than thrilled to get up before I needed to, but I can’t get mad when I hear his little voice babbling.

All in all it is a nice way to wake up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if that little pumpkin wasn't going to be all boy, he was born to the wrong dad. There's no doubt he will cause many a scare with some trips to the ER. Once he's walking, I can just imagine the black eye from falling on something or knocking out a tooth. Of course, no little boy would be complete without a stitch or two. Enjoy the calmness before he's mobile. Won't be able to take your eyes off him for a second. Of course that's totally impossible.

Anonymous said...

School days and newspaper delivery mornings would have been much easier had we just known that young Dan would waken cheerfully to the babble of a sweet baby...

You have to appreciate the blessing of a happy and contented baby. Max is a plesure to be around!

Love,
Mom