Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Max and Gigi

When my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple of months ago we were all very concerned. Cancer is very scary no matter what form it comes in. The whole family has held their collective breath as we waited for details of the treatment and prognosis. As a son, I have tried to be strong and supportive. I feel it is important for me to be upbeat and positive when I talk to my Mom. I admit, however, that I did break down at least once or twice when we first heard the news.

One of the drawbacks to a family member having cancer is the illness becomes the elephant in the room. We all know, but it becomes difficult to talk about it. No one wants to broach the subject for fear of facing the possibilities. It has become even more difficult as my Mom began suffering the side effects of chemotherapy. It was quite shocking for me to walk into the room and see her when she began losing her hair. (Although not as shocking as the first time I remember “catching” her coloring her hair. I had come inside for a drink of Kool-aid and there stood Medusa in front of the kitchen sink, strands of hair sticking out of her plastic coloring cap.)

A bright spot during the last several weeks has been Max. He really loves his Gigi and is too young to understand what is happening. He loves her unconditionally and just beams when she is around. He didn’t seem to notice when Mom began losing her hair. If he did notice, he didn’t care. He has taken a shine to her colorful hat collection, though. As with all hats (and glasses) he will snatch them off of your head and attempt to put them on.

The first time he did this to Gigi I gasped wondering what my mother’s reaction would be. You see, my Dad has been “follicly challenged” as long as I can remember, but my mother was very new to the concept. As with all things, my mother handled the event with grace and class. She went along as if nothing had happened.
Mom has been amazing through every step of her treatment so far. With three chemo sessions down and one more to go before surgery and radiation, we are all in awe of her strength and courage.

Many times I have thanked God for this gift I call Max. His happy disposition and childhood innocence will often put things into perspective for me. I believe that the Lord uses my son to help our family focus on what is important. We are thankful for what we have and just enjoy being together. We should all be content with the little things like sitting on your grandmother’s lap and reading a book.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan, I pray for your mother's recovery often. You are right, it is hard to talk about because to do so admits the possibilities. I'm sure seeing Max gives her plenty of reason to fight this illness and she will win. I do not believe that God causes bad things to happen to people, but He can make good come of it. Count your blessings and these precious memories.
Becky

Anonymous said...

Wow Dan I don't even know what to say other then I know Max is a gift from God and I am thankful everyday to have you all in my life!
Love
Suz

Anonymous said...

Dan,

What a beautiful testimony of a son's love for his mother. Our family and friends have been so extremly supportive with prayers, cards, visits an e mails to mom during this time.

You are correct when you said that Max's love for Gigi in unconditional. He doesn't notice any physical changes to her. He just wants to be with with her to play, read books and mostly Gigi hugs and kisses.

Your family support for mom is a real heart felt love that make me feel wonderful.

Thanks to you, Shannon and the Little Buddy for being there for me
when I am so far away.

Love you guys.

Dad

Anonymous said...

You know Dan, Shannon totally nailed it long ago in this blog.You are a very good writer.Your thoughts jump across the screen. You continually amaze me with your insight and humor in so many situations. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Ginny is handling this situation like a pro who has belief that modern day science can overcome what we know a lot about. This is one arena science has a good hold on for good recovery. Love Aunt Donna

Anonymous said...

Dan,
Ginny is my new hero. The very word "Cancer" brings immediate terror inour hearts. Ginny has given a new meaning to the words strength and courage.I just know in my heart she is going to endure and overcome this difficult time in her life. Thank God for our precious little boy whose love knows no boundaries.
Love you guys,
Granny Alice

Anonymous said...

Ginny is, as always, in my thoughts. I think it's wonderful that she has you, Shannon and Max (as well as others I am sure) to help see her through these tough times. It's great that Max doesn't seem to notice anything different. I'm sure he doesn't care that her hair is gone, he just cares that he has her with him. We should all be so lucky.

Lots of love,
~Amanda