Sunday, July 29, 2007

Making the transition...

So, not only are we having a baby boy, now he will officially live at our house.

This week marked the transition of "spare room" to "nursery". No longer will that room house unwanted furniture and suitcases. It has been called up to the big leagues. It has passed the recliner and flat screen TV as the most important area of the house.

We started the room makeover by having my childhood furniture refinished. I know, can you believe my parents held on to it for all these years? How unlike them. It was in pretty good shape to start with, but the finish was dull and had a few areas that needed attention. (I might have left a coke can or two sitting on the dresser.) We came to this conclusion after looking at NEW children's furniture. Have you priced this lately? Who knew particle board and spray paint could be so expensive? Anyway, my old furniture was solid maple and could be redone for just a few hundred dollars. Add some new hardware (plus a few nervously drilled holes) and you have an HGTV calibur bargain. Not that I watch HGTV or anything. Sometimes Shannon has it on while I'm cleaning my guns or reading Playboy.

The next piece of furniture to get was the ever important crib. When reading articles about choosing a crib one thing is clear. If your child sleeps in a crib they will be lucky if they survive the first year.

Armed with the latest in safety ratings Shannon and I did the most logical thing.
We bought a crib on clearance. Yep, pretty much the cheapest thing we could find. On the brightside...it matches the furniture very well.

Just kidding. We found a great deal on a good crib. My Dad and I put it together yesterday with out a hitch. No cuss words. No missing parts. I did not want to smash anything. (If any of you have ever worked on a project with my Dad and I you would appreciate how remarkable this is.) I guess we were too focused on the boy's safety and putting the bed together correctly. No time to worry about how I wasn't watching what I was doing. I love you Dad!

I am so excited about having a son.

Next comes paint colors, curtains and bedding. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Margaret Smith said...

Shannon and Dan,
Hello! It's Margaret Smith from your UTC days Shannon. It just seems like yesterday that you all were getting married in Patten Chapel. I especially remember your wedding portrait. What a beautiful pose!

Your updates are a treat to read! It's great you have a fine sense of humor; just keep it for the next thirty years! Any project or event that has the first stage is titled LABOR, needs everyone to have a good sense of humor!

My first day back for the 2007-2008 school year was last Thursday. I just re-read the 'editorial' from Sunday, May 13. That was a wonderful piece of work!

Only five months away from Max's arrival. Keep the blog alive!

Margaret Smith
mmsmith27@comcast.net