Wednesday, November 28, 2007

D-Day (the invasion)

2:50PM

Shannon and I got to the hospital a few minutes ago. We are in the room already. It is just the two of us. The lights are off so it is kind of dim. We didn’t turn the TV on so we could relax and talk. It is cool, quiet and peaceful. This is a nice way to start the event. I am glad we have this alone time.

4:45PM

So much for alone time. I wouldn’t say it has been a beehive of activity but there are a couple of nurses hovering. A few minor hiccups with the IV, but nothing too scary. The doctor called to say he was running a little behind. We are looking at 5:30 for the procedure. Shannon is handling the whole situation very well. I can’t say the same for our Moms. I was handling things pretty well until they brought me my “gear” for surgery. Now I am a little dizzy.

5:30PM

The doctor comes in to check on Shannon and briefly goes over the plan. I am instructed to “suit up” and follow the nurses as they wheel Shannon down the hall towards the operating room. We meet the anesthesiologist as we walk. He explains the procedure for giving my wife her “spinal”. They make clear that I will have to wait outside as Shannon is prepared for the c-section. When the procedure is ready to start they will come out and get me.

5:50PM

I am sitting alone in the hallway outside OR 6. This area of the hospital is dark and deserted. Only a few fluorescent bulbs shed light on the shiny sterile floor. It is very quiet. I don’t think I have ever felt so isolated. I take this moment to say a silent prayer.

5:55 PM

The door opens and the nurse sticks her head out. We are ready for you now. The OR is very bright in stark contrast to the dim hallway. I am quickly ushered to a small chair by my wife’s left shoulder. A white drape blocks my view of anything but Shannon’s face. She smiles at me peacefully. I ask her if she feels okay. “Fine,” she says. “No problem at all”. I think she looks beautiful.





6:07

Dr. Ellison, the anesthesiologist, looks at me and says “stand up!...quick”. I stand and look at him. He just points over the sheet draped across my wife’s shoulders. I turn just in time to see the doctor pull my son from Shannon’s abdomen. It was fascinating.

In a blur of activity he is flipped and flopped, suctioned and cleaned. All the while I am trying to look at him. He is blue in color. “two arms, two legs…” I am surveying in my head. Two women sweep him up and take him to the warming table. He starts to cry. They tell me to come over and see my new son.

As I look down I see this chubby, pink little baby. He is shivering and wailing. I must have gotten something in my eyes when I walked over because tears were rolling down my cheeks.

I looked over to smile at my wife. I could see her blue eyes looking at me as the surgical staff worked feverously to sew her up. “You make a pretty baby,” I say to her.

6:30PM

We are in the recovery room.

Welcome to the world Max Daniel Minninger.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, Dan. Max is lucky to have you for his Daddy. In a world where marriage is no longer considered sacred, he's also very lucky that his Daddy loves his Mommy so deeply.

How fortunate he is to have you both as his parents.

Thanks for sharing.

Nathalie

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan,

This is your best composition ever! That statement can apply to both this blog entry and to our precious, little Max.

He is a beautiful baby...thus turning a beautiful couple, you and Shannon, into a beautiful family.

We are so happy for all of you.

Love,
Mom and Dad

Cami said...

Congratulations Dan and Shannon! He's SO cute! Welcome to poopie diaperhood!

Love, Cami

Anonymous said...

Now I'm crying! Damn and I hate to cry, don't you know. :) May I be so lucky to have a man like you in my life one day.

~Amanda

Anonymous said...

Dan & Shannon,

He is beautiful! Such a beautiful family. We wish you the best and VERY few sleepless nights!

Remember, Grandma & Grandpa M make wonderful babysitters!

Sharon & Bill Dewell